There’s no denying that any type of move can be both difficult and stressful at the same time. There are lots of things to consider such as booking a Self Move Hire and packing all of your stuff. And while you may have a checklist of what you need to bring, it doesn’t always mean that you are fully ready for the move. There’s a big possibility for a lot of procrastination and doing things at the very last minute, and that is where you will get in trouble. If you want to avoid the hassle, here is a moving timeline to help you out.
8 Weeks Before Your Move
- The earlier you get to organize things, the better. Prepare a file case or a digital folder where you can store essential paperwork that you need for the move. After that, start making a list of all your stuff.
TIP: Try to make a checklist of things per room. That way, you will have a guide when you start packing.
- While working on your list, consider which items are for keeps and which ones aren’t. Don’t allow yourself to take too much time deciding and get straight to the point. If you are moving to a smaller space, it’s more crucial to let go of a lot of your items.
- Lastly, start researching different moving companies. You can take your time with this one so you could weigh the PROs and CONs while you learn more about their policies. If you’re looking for an affordable one, visit https://gowiththegecko.com.au/van-hire-melbourne-to-brisbane/ and check out their rates.
7 -6 Weeks Before Your Move
- Start purchasing supplies you need for packing. Include boxes, tapes, bubble wrap, and markers on your list.
- During this week, decide whether you have a place to donate your unwanted stuff to or if you prefer to host a garage sale instead. Be mindful that even though you will earn some extra money with the sale, it will add to your list of to-do.
- Notify schools and offices of your impending move. Get copies of records and consult with various processes for transfer.
- Visit your local hospital or clinic and get copies of your medical records. It’s better to do it now than call them when you finally need your files.
5-4 Weeks Before Your Move
- Around this period is when you should book a moving company of your choice. Give them all the details regarding your move including the date, time, and location.
- Start packing items that you won’t need right away. Be sure to place the boxes in a specific area and label them.
- Notify authorities such as utility services and landlord. Start planning the end of the service while you set up new utilities at your new place.
3-2 Weeks Before Your Move
- Start using food that you don’t expect to bring with you, especially if it’s already open. Skip a few grocery trips and plan to consume all items in your freezer and pantry as well.
- During this time, change your address to the new one. Make sure to inform your bank and other services to ensure that you receive your future billing statements.
- This is also the time for you to start packing more seriously. But keep the boxes open just in case you start looking for something.
1 Week Before Your Move
- Confirm all the services you need on the day of the move.
- Pack an overnight bag complete with essential items.
- Defrost and empty your fridge a day before moving.
It’s official. You have everything ready, and it’s time to load the car and head on to your journey. Make one final check of your home to see if nothing is left behind.